Ken’s November Quiz: Field Hockey’s Glory Days
Bellngham Bulletin Sports Editor Ken Hamwey
Field hockey at Bellingham High was once on a par with all of the state’s powerful squads. Sectional and state title teams were no surprise, and a look at the past is a stunning reminder of just how proficient Bellingham was in a sport that at times drew almost as many fans as football did in its glory days. Try your hand at this quiz that focuses on players and coaches from Bellingham’s ultra-successful days of field hockey that began in the mid-1980s.
- Who coached field hockey before current coach Aly Thibault?
- Name the coach who directed Bellingham to a pair of state championships.
- Name the coach who led Bellingham to its third state title.
- These two girls excelled in goal for Bellingham and later were given full scholarships to play at the University of Rhode Island. Who are they?
- He coached field hockey and also the girls varsity basketball team. Who is he?
- Who is Bellingham’s all-time scoring leader in field hockey?
- Carrie Leoncavalo, now Carrie Wernig, was an all-star at BHS who got a scholarship to play Division 1 field hockey. Name the school that awarded her a scholarship.
- Name the three goalies who led Bellingham to its three state titles.
- When did Bellingham win its last state crown in field hockey?
- Four Bellingham High coaches became referees in field hockey. Name them.
Scroll down to find out how you did...
- Carrie Wernig.
- Ron Bonollo.
- Joanne Paquette.
- Kelly Gorman and Jackie Pizzi.
- Mike Pizzi.
- Brenna Elliott.
- Providence College
- Lisa Payne, Lisa Ward and Erica Yeaton.
- Dennis Baker, Jim Bonollo, Steve McDonough and Jeff Boyle.