June 20 Is Hazardous Waste Disposal Day
Bellingham Memorial Middle School
Examples of the types of hazardous waste that may be disposed of include:
Based Paints & Strippers
Paint Thinner, Solvents, Stains & Varnishes
Waste Fuels such as Kerosene, Gasoline
Carburetor Cleaner, Brake Fluid
Pesticides & Insecticides
Weed Killers, Moth Balls
Resins & Adhesives
Rubber Cement, Airplane Glue
Hobby Supplies, Artist Supplies
Photo Chemicals, Chemistry Sets
Furniture, Floor, Metal Polishes
Oven, Toilet & Drain Cleaners
Rug & Upholstery Cleaner
Dry Cleaning Solvents
Swimming Pool Chemicals
Asbestos (must be double-bagged and wetted)
Following are examples of what may NOT be disposed of at the Hazardous Waste day:
Ammunition, Fireworks, Explosives
Radioactives, Smoke Detectors
Infectious & Biological Wastes
Commercial or Industrial Waste
Compressed Gas Cylinders
Waste Motor Oil*
Following are some tips for the safe transport of your hazardous waste:
- Bring materials in original containers securely closed.
- Pack containers in sturdy upright boxes and pad with newspaper if necessary.
- Never mix chemicals together!
- Never smoke or eat while handling hazardous materials.
- Leaking or broken containers must be contained.
Note: Do not leave vehicles at the middle school for disposal unless instructed to do so.