Creative Halloween Costume Ideas
Every Halloween, many people look forward to participating in "frightful" festivities, such as costume parties and contests, or perhaps to attend the annual Pumpkin Stroll on the Bellingham Town Common on Saturday, Oct. 25, 6 to 8 p.m., but often wait until the last minute to come up with a costume. This usually leaves slim pickings at party stores and costume shops or a tossed together look. With a little planning and creativity, you can avoid the scramble this year and create a classic Halloween costume using items you probably have at home, or can easily and affordably find.
Easy DIY finds
Follow these tips and tricks - and treat yourself to a costume that will make this Halloween sweeter than ever.
- Use it as a time to clean out your closet. Those old, unused threads might serve as the basis for a great costume.
- On that note - don't overlook your "memories." Pull out sports or dance uniforms from your glory days in high school and have an ensemble ready.
- Crafting gear nearby? Great. It's easy to create a charming costume with just scissors, glue and a little bling.
Delightful dress-up ideas
Here are some examples of clever costumes you can make at home.
Morton Salt Girl costume
Celebrate the Morton Salt Girl's 100th birthday this year by sporting her iconic look for Halloween. Once you're all dressed up you may want to enter the Morton Salt Girl Halloween Costume Contest and Sweepstakes* at www.MortonCostumeContest.com.
These are just a few of the items you will need to bring this classic look to life:
- Yellow dress
- White tights or stockings
- Yellow Mary Jane shoes
- An umbrella, preferably lavender, white or clear
- A Morton Salt table salt canister to tuck under your arm
Wrangle up some fun with your very own cowboy costume. Here are some of the elements you'll need to complete the look:
- Flannel shirt
- Leather pants or jeans
- Cowboy boots
- Cowboy hat
- A long rope
Consider twirling the night away in a ballerina costume with these key pieces:
- Camisole top or leotard
- Tutu or short flowy skirt
- Tights or stockings
- Flats or ballet shoes
So don't be scared to create your own Halloween costume. With a few items from your closet and a little creativity, you can make a memorable outfit perfect for any spooky celebration.
* NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Morton Salt Girl Halloween Costume Contest and Sweepstakes starts 10/01/14 at 12:00:00 P.M. ET (noon); ends 11/02/14 at 11:59:59 P.M. ET. Open only to eligible legal residents of 50 US/DC, 18 years or older as of date of entry into the Contest and Sweepstakes. See Official Rules for entry details, prize, odds of winning, etc. Void in Puerto Rico & elsewhere where prohibited or restricted by law. Sponsor: Morton Salt, Inc., 123 North Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606.