Bellingham Public Library News & Events for March
For updates to library programs and services, please see the library website, www.bellinghamlibrary.org. Click on the red alert banner.
Monday - Thursday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday & Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Mass. Memories Road Show Bellingham Historical Photo & Video Database Online!
In November of 2022, the Bellingham Library hosted the Mass. Memories Road Show, a statewide, event-based participatory archiving program that documents people, places, and events in Massachusetts history through family photographs and stories. Archivists and public historians in University Archives and Special Collections in the Joseph P. Healey Library at UMass Boston organized this free event. The Bellingham Collection is available at: https://tinyurl.com/mr3zsuuu
Bellingham is Open for Business Programs
The library has updated our website, https://www.bellinghamma.org/library/pages/business-resources , with information for local businesses and entrepreneurs, including a full schedule of workshops through June. Each month we will have at least two workshops that will help businesses and entrepreneurs expand their knowledge and skills.
In addition, on April 29th we will be hosting Bellingham Business Expo. Applications to participate are available at the above website on the Business Expo section of that web page.
Here are the programs we are offering in March. Both programs will be hybrid (in-person and on Zoom), with a limit of 12 people in person. When you register you will be asked if you are coming in person or virtually, so registration is required!
These programs are made possible by a federal Institute of Museum and Library Services grant the library was awarded, through the Library Services and Technology Act. The grant is administered by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
Social Media for Business – Wednesday, March 15th at 6 p.m.
We’ll explain the difference between personal and business accounts and cover the most common business social platforms including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and Snapchat. Learn about privacy settings, linking your social accounts, advertising and managing multiple accounts. Will also cover tools to create content for social media pages.
Graphics & Design for Business – Tuesday, March 21st at 6 p.m.
This session will take a closer look at some of the tools available for creating content for your business. We’ll demonstrate some projects created with PowerPoint, Canva, Flixpress and others. You’ll learn how to create some basic projects.
Virtual 50+ Job Seekers Networking Group – March Topics:
• Developing a Resume, Part 1, Wednesday, March 1st, from 9:30 am to 11:30 am or Wednesday, March 8th from 6-8 p.m.
• Developing a Resume, Part 2 – Wednesday, March 15th from 9:30 am to 11:30 am or Wednesday, March 22nd from 6-8 p.m.
This program will continue through June with two new topics each month.
To register for each workshop, go to the library calendar, select the workshop date and click on the link to register directly via Zoom.
Create a Trivet or Coasters with Fabric – Monday, March 20th at 6 p.m.
Join Ana Mendes, owner of Afonsoway, for a do-it-yourself fabric covered tile coaster/trivet class. All materials will be supplied, and class is free. For older teens and adults. No children allowed in the room as a hot glue gun will be used. Registration necessary, space limited. Program is funded by the Friends of the Bellingham Library.
Ukrainian Easter Egg Decorating Program – Wednesday, March 29th at 6 pm.
Learn about the colorful world of Pysanky, the Ukrainian art form in which an egg is designed with traditional folk motifs using wax and dyes. No experience necessary. All materials included. This class is for adults only, ages 18 and up. Space limited, registration required!
March Children’s Program Schedule
Here’s our new schedule for March with Miss Laura’s new programming included!
Sensory Story Time with Miss Melissa – Mondays & Wednesdays at 10:30 to 11:45 a.m.
For children ages 2-5 of all abilities. Space is limited and registration is required for each session, so please register early!
Magic: The Gathering Club – Mondays at 2:30 p.m.
For grades 4-8. Magic is the ultimate tabletop game, combining the skills of strategy, probability, reading, math, bluffing and more for a fun and engaging experience like no other. Please register.
NEW! Rhyme Time with Miss Laura – Mondays at 9:30 a.m. and Tuesdays at 11 a.m. Intended for ages 3-5 but bigs and littles welcome. Drop in, no registration! No class March 6th!
Ring a Ding – Tuesdays & Fridays at 10 a.m.
For ages 0-5. Songs, a story, music, instruments, and beach balls = a lot of noisy fun! Join us! No registration required.
Baby Time – Wednesdays & Fridays at 11:30 am
For children under 2, older siblings welcome. Songs, stories, and play/discussion time for you and your baby/toddler. Drop in! No class on March 17th.
Monster Squad – Thursday, March 2nd at 4 p.m.
Are cryptids real? Do monsters exist? We will review the “evidence” of these mysterious creatures. We will do some theme related STEAM activities too! For ages 8 – 12, Grades 2 - 6. Registration is required, maximum of 12 participants.
1st Saturday Family Fun - Build a Leprechaun Trap!– Saturday, March 4th at 10 am
It’s time again for those silly Leprechauns to come to our homes and try their tricky ways on us! Miss Laura will give you a “gold coin” to bait your trap.
Homeschool Meet Up – Thursday, March 9th at 6 p.m.
Join us for a meet up to discuss ideas, resources, and other subjects important to our local homeschool families. Miss Laura will be present to assist with any research and information that may be needed.
Building & Engineering Fun – Thursday, March 16th at 4 p.m.
Drop in for an opportunity to create, engineer and build. Multiple different building materials will be available (Legos, K’nex, etc) and you can free build or try to solve a building challenge. Items may be displayed, space permitting, for a month until the next meeting when you can build something new! Ages 6 - 12 / Grades 1 - 6.
Starlight Story Time – Thursday, March 23rd at 6:30 p.m. Ages 1 - 100 everyone is welcome!
After School Programs
No Fun Fridays on March 17th, as it is a school half-day.
• After School Kids (ASK) – for grades 4-6. When school is in session, ASK meets Monday-Thursday from 2:30 p.m.- 4:45p.m. Registration is required for this program. Questions? Contact Diane Nelson, [email protected] Parents/caregivers of all registrants are signed up for our Constant Contact Newsletter.
• Teen Room Activities – for grades 7-12. When school is in session, Teen Room Activities are available Monday-Thursday from 2 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. No registration needed to attend this program. Questions? Contact Amanda Maclure,[email protected]
Other Adult Programs
Additional details of these programs are available on the library calendar (https://bit.ly/3xMECCt)
• Book Club generally meets on the first Monday of the month. Email Reference Librarian Cecily Christensen at [email protected] for details.
• Friends of the Library generally meet on the second Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. Email [email protected] for details.
• The Library Board of Trustees generally meets on the second Thursday of the month at 7 p.m. Email [email protected] for details.
• Adult Writing Group will now meet at the Bellingham Historical Museum on the second Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm. Email [email protected] for details.
• Bellingham Skein Artists Meet at the Library!, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Bellingham Public Library, 100 Blackstone St., Bellingham, informal group of knitters, crocheters and other skein artists in Teen Room of the library
• Yoga – The library is hosting Tuesday morning and Thursday evening yoga classes. Check the library calendar for details. Space limited, so registration required.