Where to Accept and Give Help During this Thanksgiving
By Ashley Kazijian
The time of year many of us look forward to is right around the corner. While many of us are excited to welcome the holidays, there are always more of us struggling to get through. For many folks, additional support is almost always needed during the holidays. Whether your struggles are emotional, physical, familial, or financial (and so on..) there is always some form of additional support available when needed the most.
Most commonly, financial struggles are felt hardest during the holiday season by families and individuals. To add to this, the cost increases felt from inflation (across the board - but particularly in grocery stores) has added significant financial stress to many.
Bellingham is a community fortunate enough to have access to resources that ensure families and individuals are able to enjoy something we all look forward to during the holidays; food!
Here are some places to check out this Thanksgiving if you’re in need of some help with dinner:
• Thanksgiving Basket Program (Loaves and Fishes food pantry - St. Blaise Church)
Contact for more information: Susan Durkin, Director (508) 966 2862, Sdurkinsaintblaise.org (please email no later than November 7th to sign up for a basket)
• Local Veteran’s Associations
Contact for more information: Michael Hennessy, Administrative Assistant to Bellingham’s Veteran’s Agent (508) 657 2801
• Meals on Wheels (508) 949 6640 or 1 (800) 286 6640
• Feeding America, Website: https://www.feedingamerica.org/need-help-find-food/thanksgiving
• United Way Feed-A-Family program: Website: https://www.uwotc.org/feed
If you’re on the other end and find yourself able to help others in need this holiday season, here are some recommendations:
• Volunteer/donate at a local food bank or food pantry
• Host a food drive
• Donate food for Thanksgiving
• Make Thanksgiving baskets (sides, seasonings, bread mix, etc.)
Please contact Susan Durkin (Sdurkinsaintblaise.org) or visit
https://www.saintblaise.org/food-pantry for more information on contributing to the Thanksgiving Basket Program through Loaves and Fishes.