November News from the Bellingham LibraryOct 29, 2020 06:00AM ● By Pamela Johnson
The Bellingham Public Library is open to the general public on Mondays and Thursdays, 11 am—6:30 pm, and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 11 am—3 pm; special hour for seniors & those who are immunocompromised on Fridays, 10—11 am; closed Saturdays. November holiday hours: closed Wednesday, Nov. 11 (Veterans Day); open regular hours on Wednesday, Nov. 25; closed Thursday, Nov. 26 (Thanksgiving) through Sunday, Nov. 29.
Visit www.belllinghamlibrary.org for updates on library services; click on the calendar for more details and to register for programs.
Patron survey: We expect COVID restrictions to remain in place into the new year. We are looking for your feedback on library services that we could provide during that time (hours, electronic services, virtual programs, museum and attraction passes, etc). Please check the library website and Facebook page for the survey.
New This Month: Study Room is open for reservations, and may be reserved for one individual to study (one reservation per person per week). See library calendar for details and to make your reservation.
Ongoing: We have expanded the area open to patrons to include most of the Children’s Room collections, all of the DVD collection, and more Teen and Large Print titles.Computer Use by Reservation—We offer computer use by registration for up to one hour at specific time slots for crucial uses such as job searching, checking email, and printing. See the library calendar for details and to make your reservation (limit 2 reservations per week).
Grab & Go Service
- When visiting the library, patrons must wear face coverings that cover their mouths and noses.
- Because of social distancing guidelines, only 10 patrons will be permitted in the building at one time so please limit your visit to no more than 30 minutes.
- For browsing, we have moved high-demand collections to a central area near the library service desks. If you are looking for an item that is not in the browsing area, a staff member may be able to get it for you, depending upon staff availability.
- A self-checkout station is available for patron use.
- Curbside pickup is continuing for the pickup of all requested materials.
- The play area of the Children’s Room, Teen Room, Café, and all meeting rooms, except for the single person Study Room, remain closed to the public.
- There are currently no desks, tables, or chairs available for patron use.
- The copier is available for patron use, but please bring exact change (15 cents per page for black & white or 50 cents a page for color).
- Donations are NOT being accepted at this time.
Returning Library Materials:
Please place items you are returning on the designated cart that is near the library entrance. If the cart is not there, please use the book drop that is near the flagpole. All items that are returned will be quarantined for at least a few days before being checked in. Any late fees will be waived once the items are checked in.
- Book Discussion Group—Monday, Nov. 2, at 6:30pm (virtual meeting on Zoom). The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah will be discussed.
- Finding Easy Walks Wherever You Are—Wednesday, Nov. 4, at 7 pm. Join Bellingham resident, author of the Easy Walks series, and Personal Historian Marjorie Turner Hollman to learn tips and tricks for finding less crowded outdoor spaces and much more. This virtual presentation is especially appropriate for elders, those with disabilities, and families with young children who use strollers. Registration is required; a Zoom link will be sent to registrants.
- Virtual Holiday Wreath Making Class—Thursday, Nov. 5, at 6:30 pm. Join Ana Mendes, owner of Afonsoway.com, for this holiday tulle “tutu” wreath workshop. Make your very own holiday/winter themed wreath from the comfort of your home; no experience needed. Registrants will pick up a wreath kit at the library. A Zoom link will be sent to registrants. Limited to 15 participants.
- Library Board of Trustees Meeting—Thursday, Nov. 12, at 7 pm, via Zoom.
- Friends of the Bellingham Library Meeting—Tuesday, Nov. 10, at 7 pm, via Zoom. In November the Friends of the Library will be launching a few fundraisers, so keep an eye on their website (www.bellfol.org) and our Facebook page for details!
November Children’s ProgramsCheck the library calendar (www.BellinghamLibrary.org) for details.
- ABCs with Mr. Steve—Mondays (except Nov. 23), at 9 am, on You Tube.
- 15 Minutes of Facebook Fun!—On Facebook Live, Tuesdays, at 10 am.
- Alphabits Live on Zoom—Tuesdays, 12:30 pm; Thursdays, 9:30 am; replayed on Fridays, 9 am. (No class the week of November 23rd.)
- Virtual STEAM Time—Thursday, Nov. 12, at 3:30pm on YouTube. Sign up to get your materials.
- Ravenous Readers on Zoom—Tuesday, Nov. 17, at 4:30 pm, for grades 4-6; Thursday, Nov. 19, at 3:30 pm, for grades 1–3.
- Thanksgiving Crafts—Wednesday, Nov. 18, at 3:30pm on YouTube.
- Note: All YouTube videos can be accessed at youtube.com/abcswithmrsteve.
- Virtual After School Program—Mondays & Thursdays, 3:15 pm, on school days only, for grades 4–7. No sessions Thanksgiving week. See library calendar for details and to register.