November News from the Senior CenterOct 29, 2020 06:00AM ● By Pamela Johnson
Bellingham Senior Center
COA Meeting—Our next public meeting will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 10, at 11am, via Zoom.
Sign up for Fuel Assistance beginning Nov. 1
Sign up for Fuel Assistance beginning Nov. 1
South Middlesex Opportunity Council (SMOC) assigned the Bellingham Senior Center as one of the local organizations helping with fuel assistance applications. The program, part of the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), could help you with heating costs, including fuel, during the winter season, and heating system repair, replacement and maintenance services. The Weatherization Assistance Program serves eligible households with air sealing, attic/sidewall insulation, weather-stripping and weatherization repairs. Both of these are year-round programs.
The application cycle runs November 1, 2020, to April 30, 2021. To apply, call the Senior Center at 508-966-0398. Eligibility is based on family size and income. When you call to make an appointment, ask about a list of required documents.NOTE: No book club for November and December. A book for January will be selected and announced in December.
SPIRITUAL BOOK CLUB—This club meets every Monday, at 2 pm, via Zoom, to socialize and discuss nonfiction and fiction books regarding personal/spiritual growth. This is for people interested in self-improvement, personal growth, increased happiness and productivity, etc. Anyone interested in joining should email Josie at [email protected] for the link.
BELLINGHAM HISTORY—Jim Buckley is back, on Wednesdays, at 1 pm, with his interesting stories about Bellingham people instrumental in historical moments.
RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES—The next one is scheduled for Monday, November 16, 8am-1pm.
WELLNESS WEBINARS—Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA offers two opportunities this month to participate in educational activities and learn more about staying healthy and safe: Nutrition Do’s and Don’ts, Thursday, Nov. 5, at 2 pm (register at www.bcbsma.info/Nov 5; Nutrition and Sleep, Wednesday, Nov. 18, at 10 am; register at www.bcbsma.info/Nov18.
MEN’S GROUP— Wednesdays, 10am, at Devlin’s Pub in Bellingham Plaza.
Outdoor Exercise Programs
- LINE DANCING—Mondays, 1 pm.
- YOGA—Chair yoga: Tues, 10am, $3 donation requested; Intermediate yoga, Thurs, 9:30am, $5.
- BEGINNER CHAIR EXERCISE—Tuesdays, 1:30pm.
- CHORUS & MOTION TO MUSIC—Wednesdays, 11am and 11:30am, respectively.
- SENIOR DANCE EXERCISE—Fridays, 9:30am, $5.
- WALKING CLUB—Fridays, 8 am; meet at SNET trail on Center Street. Bring a mask. Dogs are welcome, too, but only on a leash. All outdoor classes will be conducted as long as the weather is good. Classes are FREE except where indicated. Call the Center at (508) 966-0398 to reserve your spot; group sizes are limited.
- SELF-CARE—“I am thinking self-care could be at any level, for the body, mind, heart and soul; yet, it also involves our relationship, environment, community—this sounds like me, right?” Mingming He, a member of the Council on Aging Board of Directors, continues: “I like broad titles that give me space to move around. I might involve people to share, sing, dance, meditate. Hokey Pokey is a must!” Self Care is scheduled for Tuesdays, 2:30pm, and will run for 30 mins. Please email Terri at [email protected] for the Zoom link.
- Memory Cafe— Saturday, Nov. 28, at 10am. Memory Cafe is a social event for family members and individuals experiencing cognitive changes from Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. Dancing and other entertainment are included. Please join us via Zoom. For more information, please call Virtual Program Coordinator Terri Graham at 508-657-2710 or email her at [email protected] Terri would be happy to answer your questions and arrange for you to participate virtually using Zoom. Sponsored by Benchmark at Forge Hill.
- SHINE—During the annual Medicare Open Enrollment Period (now through December 7th), you will have a chance to change your plan for next year. SHINE’s certified Medicare counselors can help you understand your plan changes, as well as other options you may have. If you’d like to make a telephone appointment to speak with our SHINE representative, Jean Roy, here are the dates she will be available this month: November 2, 16, 24 & 30. Appointments are 45-minutes long and are scheduled between 9am and 12-pm; please call ahead to reserve your day and time.
- The Giving Tree—For the past 17 years, knitters at the Bellingham Senior Center have produced hats, mittens and more for those in need. In the past year, more than 500 pieces have been donated to the St. Blaise Food Pantry, Milford Regional Medical Center and several local nursing homes. “We accept purchased items, too, and it’s not too late to donate,” says Abby Cirioni. You can bring your donation to the Senior Center. Abby would like to have all donations submitted before the end of November. For more information, please call Abby at 508-966-3788. “Thank you very much. Everything knitted will be shared before Christmas,” she said.
Here is the November calendar of events. You may also download the PDF (see below)