Ken’s Sports Quiz: These Numbers Tell the Story
Sep 30, 2014 08:29AM
By Kenneth Hamwey
Bellngham Bulletin Sports Editor Ken Hamwey
- How many state championships has Bellingham High won? (Note: Super Bowls are counted as state titles.)
- How many Super Bowls did Bellingham High win in the 1990s?
- How many athletes from Bellingham have been drafted by professional teams? (Hint: the question refers to both the town and the school.)
- How many victories did the 2014 BHS softball team compile en route to the state title?
- How many Tri Valley League titles did Bellingham High win on May 21, 2014?
- How many varsity sports are offered at Bellingham High?
- How many Bellingham High varsity coaches won Tri Valley League coach of the year honors for the 2013-14 school year?
- The Bellingham High softball and baseball teams won State titles this spring. How many teams did each squad beat for its crown?
- How many MVPs did Bellingham High have in the Tri Valley League for 2013-14?
- The boys indoor and outdoor track teams combined to set a plethora of school records during the 2013-14 school year. How many records were set?
- Ten (4 Super Bowls, 3 in field hockey, and one each in boys basketball, softball and baseball.
- Two (Bellingham defeated Marian in 1993 and South Boston in 1998).
- Two (Ron Russell was drafted by the Texas Rangers and Beau Starrett was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks. Starrett lives in Bellingham but played for Catholic Memorial).
- Twenty-five. (The softball team finished with a 25-1 record.)
- Three (boys track, softball and baseball).
- Three (Peter Lacasse in track, T.J. Chiappone in baseball and Dan Nagle in girls basketball). Amazingly, Dennis Baker, who guided the softball team to a 25-1 record and a state championship, did not capture the coach of the year award in the TVL.
- The state champs in softball and baseball had to win six games each for the crown.
- Three (David Sampson in baseball, Megan Cook in softball and Sarah Edwards in track).