Library Announces January News
Jan 02, 2018 11:15AM ● Published by Pamela Johnson
Happy New Year! January Events!
Financial Fitness for Everyone Open HouseSetting Your Financial Goals for 2018—Monday, Jan. 29, 6–7:45 pm. This Open House is the kick-off for our 2018 Financial Fitness for Everyone grant. Over the next year, we hope to encourage all Bellingham families to set 2 new financial goals for 2018 and look to the library for resources to help you meet those goals. This year we will offer programs on the following financial topics (among others): budgeting, retirement and estate planning, saving for college, credit and credit scores, online security and identity theft, and money smarts for kids and teens.
Stop in between 6 and 7:45 pm to check out the resources and meet some experts who will be collaborating with the library throughout the year on programs and services on these topics. Light refreshments will be served. Registration preferred to assist us in planning refreshments, but not necessary.
This is part of the “Financial Fitness for Everyone!” Grant Program, made possible by a federal Institute of Museum & Library Services grant through the Library Services & Technology Act; grant administered through the MA Board of Library Commissioners.
“Enlighten Bellingham” Final Event of Spring 2018The library will be concluding its “Enlighten Bellingham” program this spring. Keep an eye out for the details of a big spring event! In 2017 we have offered the community a variety of programs for people of all ages under this program. We are one of six libraries, three in Massachusetts and three in Maine, that due to our science programming, were chosen as pilot libraries by the Maine State Library, the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and Cornerstones of Science, a Maine nonprofit. The goal for the initiative is for the pilot libraries to create a field-tested, replicable science literacy method that can be used to enable their public libraries to become skilled STEM facilitators. The project seeks to empower public libraries to build their science capacity so that they can connect their communities to engaging and meaningful informal science and technology experiences, equipment, books, media and the scientific community. We chose the topic of Environmental Literacy and have offered programs on Alternative Energy, Recycling and Water Resources. Enlighten Bellingham Programming will resume in the spring.
After School ProgramsThe library offers opportunities for children in grades 4-12 to attend our supervised after school programs. Parents are advised to review the Library’s Information for Parents of BMS and BHS Students who Visit the Library After School, at the following website: http://bit.ly/2w6TIqd, which outline the programs including supervision and attendance, library spaces, parking lot safety and keeping in touch with your child. Check the calendar for time changes on early release days. No programs during school vacation week.
ASK (After School Kids) for children in grades 4-7, Monday through Wednesday, 2:30–4:45 pm, in the Children’s Program Room; video games, Chromebooks, crafts, board games and more.
Teen Room Activities, Mon–Fri, 2–5 pm. 6th- through 12th-graders: stop by the Teen Room after school to use computers, play on the WiiU and XBox One, play board games, and hang out with your friends!
Regular Events for Children
- Alphabits: Mon, 10:10 am; Tue, 1:15 & 4:15 pm; Wed & Thu, 10:10 & 11 am. Please register.
- Ring-A-Ding: Tue & Fri, 10:05 & 10:50 am (for ages 0-5). Drop in.
- Book Babies Playgroup: Mon & Wed, 9:15 am (for ages 0–23 mos). Please register.
- Babygarten: Sat, 10 am, beg. Jan. 20. Please register.
- Magic School Bus: Mon, Jan. 22, 4:15 pm (for ages 4-8). Please register.
- Potpourri Story Time: Thu, 1:15 pm (for ages 3-5). Please register.
- Lego Build: Wed, 4 pm. Drop in.
- Mother/Daughter Book Club: Mon, Jan. 8, 6:30 pm (for mom & daughters in grades 7-8). This month’s book: Emma by Jane Austen. Copies are available at the library. Please register for your first time attending.
Events for Adults
- Book Discussion Group: Mon, Jan. 8, at 3 & 6:30 pm. New members welcome; drop in.
- Friends of the Library: Monday, Jan. 8, at 7 pm.
- Writer’s Group: Monday, Jan. 8, at 6:30 pm. Please register.
- Wednesdays at 5 and 5:45 pm. Book a Librarian. Book a Librarian sessions are tailored to meet the specific needs of the individual. A library staff member will give undivided attention to patrons who want in-depth help with a wide variety of library services..
- Library Board of Trustees: Thu, Jan. 11, at 7 pm.
- Bellingham Skein Artists Adult Knitting Group: Thu, at 6:30 pm. Drop in.