Ken’s Quiz: Field Hockey’s Golden Days
Oct 28, 2016 06:00AM ● Published by Kenneth Hamwey
Bellngham Bulletin Sports Editor Ken Hamwey
Bellingham High’s current field hockey team has shown improvement, and that’s a big plus because it would be dynamic if the program could recapture some of its glorious past. Field hockey once was the second most popular sport at BHS. Football was No. 1, even though field hockey raised state title banners twice before a Super Bowl crown was part of BHS lore. The Blackhawks not only won many TVL titles in field hockey, but also captured state championships in 1985, 1988 and 1996.
Field hockey is fast and its up-tempo nature makes it fun to watch. Here’s a field hockey quiz to test your knowledge of the coaches and players whose success in previous decades created plenty of intimidation for opponents.
- Name the three goalies who led Bellingham to its three state championships.
- BHS had three goalies who played Division 1 field hockey at the University of Rhode Island. Name them.
- Who was the leading goal scorer on the 1996 state title team?
- Name the star midfielder on the 1996 state championship squad who later was inducted into the Stonehill College Hall of Fame for field hockey and lacrosse.
- She was an unsung defensive stalwart (sweeper, link and fullback) on Bellingham High’s 1988 field hockey team, which won a state championship by beating Southbridge and finishing with a 23-1 record, the best mark ever in the program’s history. Who is she?
- Who was the coach who guided BHS to a pair of state titles—one championship coming in Division 1 and the other in Division 2?
- She received a scholarship to play field hockey at Providence College, where she was a Big East all-star. She later became the Blackhawks’ varsity head coach. Who is she?
- She scored 111 goals in her career at BHS and is the school’s all-time leader in goals scored. Who is she?
- Name the BHS goalie who was ranked No. 2 nationally in career shutouts with 49.
- This BHS coach died a few years after her team won a state title in 1996. Who was she?
- Lisa Payne, Lisa Ward and Erica Yeaton.
- Lisa Payne, Kelly Gorman and Jaclyn Pizzi.
- Jess Gulino.
- Amy Bartlett, who now is Amy Webster.
- Sherilyn McDonald.
- Ron Bonollo.
- Carrie Leoncavalo, who now is Carrie Wernig.
- Brenna Elliott.
- Jaclyn Pizzi.
- Joanne Paquette.