On Your Mark, Get Set, Read! Is Summer Reading Program Theme
Jun 30, 2016 06:00AM
● By Pamela Johnson
Summer Reading Is Here!In addition to the great events listed below, the library is challenging the Bellingham community (children and adults!) to read a million minutes this summer! If you didn’t pick up your reading log at the summer reading kick-off, stop by the library to get yours today. For every 500 minutes you read, you’ll be eligible for a prize or book, and you’ll also receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win one of our eight great summer reading prizes, which include Mo Willems Prize Pack, Superhero Prize Pack, Personalized Party (featuring a costume storybook character of your choice). The reading challenge is not only to read a million minutes, but we will be having a contest between the adults and children to see who reads the most. Check out the baseball diamond bulletin board at the entrance to the Children’s Room to see how everyone is doing and who is winning, the adults or the kids!
- Digital Scavenger Hunt—Begins Friday, July 1. Families who register to do a digital scavenger hunt (a scavenger hunt with your camera) and take pictures of various items/tasks. Be creative and have fun! Register for more information and to see what to take pictures of. Lists and information will be emailed out to registrants when you register. Pictures must be completed by August 7, and all families are invited to attend the Digital Scavenger Hunt Slideshow (where we see everyone’s pictures and have ice cream) on Thursday evening, August 11. Please register for the slideshow.
- Giant Candyland—Tuesday, July 5, at 3 pm (for all ages). Drop in any time between 3 and 5 pm to play a round or two of Candyland on our giant board. There will be lots of sweets and fun.
- Sports Stories & More—Wednesdays, at 10:30 am (for ages 3-7, with adult). On Your Mark, Get Set, Read! is this summer’s reading theme, and this “sporty” story time will concentrate on a different sport each week. Weekly sports themes are posted on the library website, www.bellinghamlibrary.org. Please register. (You need to register only once to attend all Sports Stories.)
- Crafternoons—Wednesdays, at 2 pm (for students entering grades 4–7. A different craft will be featured each week; details to be announced. Please register for each week individually.
- Ready, Set, Read!—Mondays, at 1 pm, or Thursdays, at 10:30 am (for ages 2–5). This weekly story time will have lots of action. Please register one time in order to attend any Ready, Set, Read story times.
- Ninja Party—Thursday, July 7, at 6:30 pm (for ages 4 and up). Listen up, all you ninjas and ninja wannabees, make sure to be here for an action-packed event. Please register.
- Play-Doh® Madness—Monday, July 11, at 10 am for students entering grades 1-3, and 11 am for grades 4-7. See what you can make with Play-Doh®. Please register!
- Fancy Nancy Budding Ballerina—Tuesday, July 12, at 6:30 pm (for ages 4 and up). We will read Fancy Nancy: Budding Ballerina, and then get to do some of our own ballet and dance moves—as taught to us by Amanda DelPrete from Inspire Dance Academy. Please register.
- Great Races—Mondays, July 18 and 25, at 3 pm, for students entering grades 1–3, and Thursdays, July 14 and 21, at 4 pm, for students entering grades 4–7. Enjoy all sorts of fun races of all kinds in this two-week program. Please register.
- Mini-Golf Mania—Friday, July 15, at 2 pm (for any age). Drop in between 2 and 4 pm to play a round or two of mini-golf. The Community Room will be set up as a mini-golf course; take on a friend, play as a family, or by yourself. No registration necessary.
- World Class Frisbee® Show—Monday, July 18, at 6:30 pm (for families with school-aged children). In this inspiring, high-energy 30-45 minute program, Todd captivates children by demonstrating basic tricks, catches and combinations. He shows a number of many rare and unique Frisbees® along with stories and messages that he shares. The program also includes a brief science lesson on the aerodynamics of Frisbees and a bit of history about tossing circular objects. Location posted on library website, www.bellinghamlibrary.org.
- Silly Sports—Tuesday, July 19, at 1 pm for those entering grades 1–3, and 2 pm for grades 4–7. For those brave and silly enough, try your hand at either of two silly sports (sports to be announced). Please register.
- Mark Binder Storytelling—Wednesday, July 20, at 2 pm (for families with kids ages 4 and up). Mark Binder uses stories like “The Tortoise and the Hare” and songs like Read a Little Every Day to capture the imagination, promote reading and tickle the fancy. Children and parents alike will be entranced listening to his classic and original spins on traditional stories and his wild tall tales. Please register for this fun program.
- Family Feud—Thursday, July 21, at 6:30 pm (for families). Family will go up against family in this fun and interactive game. Please register.
- Learn Ukulele with Julie—Monday, July 25, at 6:30 pm (for ages 8 and up, with parent(s); adults welcome too). Did you ever want to play a ukulele? Have one but don’t know how to play it? Julie Calamine has been playing music for over 20 years, and the ukulele for over a decade. She has developed a program to teach people how to play in one lesson. She will give you the tools and basic understanding you need to get started. Bring your own ukulele or you may borrow one of Julie’s for the lesson. Registration required as space is limited.
- Harry Potter Party—Tuesday, July 26, at 6:30 pm (for families). This night is for Harry Potter fans: trivia, games, costumes, and fun as we get ready for the new book release, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which will be in stores on July 31. Please register.
- Hunger Games Marathon—Thursday, July 28, at 11:30 am (for middle- and high-school students). We will be watching all four Hunger Games movies back to back to back to back. (Rated PG-13). Stop by for one, two, three, or all four movies. Some snacks will be provided, but feel free to bring some of your own food. Please register if you plan on attending any or all of the movies.
- Elephant & Piggie Meet & Greet—Friday, July 29, at 11:15 am (for any age). Want to meet Gerald & Piggie and have your picture taken with them? This is your chance. Drop in any time between 11:15 am and noon to meet the famous Mo Willems characters who star in 25 books. Make sure to bring a camera. No registration necessary.
- Elephant & Piggie Party—Friday, July 29, at 6:30 pm (for families). We are so excited that Elephant & Piggie will be at the library that we have to P-A-R-T-Y! Mr. Steve & Ms. Nicole from the Upton Library will start off performing a couple of Elephant & Piggie stories; then you will be able to play Elephant & Piggie games, do Elephant & Piggie activities, and—best of all—meet the two stars of the evening! Make sure to bring a camera. Please register.
Regular Events for Children
- Monday, July 18 & 25, 6:30 pm—Tail Waggin’ Tutors. Please register.
- Tuesdays & Fridays, 10:15 am—Ring-A-Ding (for ages 0-5). Drop in.
- Tuesdays, 11:30 am, & Wednesdays, 9:30 am—Book Babies (for ages 0-23 months). Please register.
- Wednesdays, 12:30 pm—Picnic Stories (for all ages) on the Bellingham Town Common.
- Wednesdays, 4 pm—Lego Club (for all ages).
- Thursdays, 9:30 am & Fridays, 11:30 am—Babygarten (for pre-walking babies). Please register. (No class July 28 or 29.)
Events for TeensTuesday, July 19, 6:30 pm—YA Book Lovers Book Club (for teens and adults). This month’s book is Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. First time attending? Please register.
Events for Adults
- Monday, July 11, 6:30 pm—Book Discussion Group, new members welcome; drop in.
- Thursday, July 14, 7 pm—Library Board of Trustees meeting.
- Thursdays, 6:30 pm—Bellingham Skein Artists Adult Knitting Group; drop in.
- Monday, July 11, 6 pm, Coloring for Adults; drop in.
- Monday, July 25, 7 pm—Friends of the Library meeting. New members welcome.
- Selected Tuesdays, 5:30 pm—PAL Parent/Caregiver Support Group.
Hours: Monday—Thursday, 10 am–8 pm; Friday 10 am–5 pm; closed Saturdays & Sundays; closed on Monday, July 4, for Independence Day.