February News & Events at the Bellingham Library
Bellingham Public Library
Staff Training Special Hours: On Feb. 12, and on the second Thursday of the month through May 14, the library will be open only 1 to 8 pm. In the morning on those days our staff will undergo customer-service training in digital resources and computer training. A $10,000 federal Library Services and Technology Act Grant received through the MA Board of Library Commissioners will pay for trainers, supplies and equipment and will pay for staff to attend these sessions, as well as staff peer training.
Customer-Service Survey: As part of the “Customer Service in the Digital Age” grant, we are conducting a customer-service survey through Feb. 15. There is a link to the survey on the library website, www.bellinghamlibrary.org, and paper copies of the survey are available at the library.
Featured Events• Harry Potter Book Night—Thursday, Feb. 5, 6:30–7:30 pm. This exciting world-wide event will give new and existing fans a chance to share the wonder of J.K. Rowling’s unforgettable stories and introduce them to the next generation of readers. Embrace the magic and banish the midwinter blues with games, activities, stories and Harry Potter galore. Please register.
• Infant Massage—Tuesday, Feb. 10, 11:15 am–12:15 pm. Workshop by Sheryl White of Baby Kneads (www.babykneads.com), a certified Infant Massage Instructor. Sheryl has been working with infants and families for 15 years. Best for infants and pre-crawling babies. Details and registration on library event calendar. (See article on page 26.)
• Women Approaching Retirement & Beyond—Thursday, Feb. 12, 6:30–8 pm. Topics include understanding the value and timing of Social Security decisions both you and your spouse make; health insurance in retirement; income and expenses—identifying and working on them before you retire; ideas to generate cash-flow improvements; divorce and widowhood—things to be aware of; extended/long-term care for your parents/yourself; carrying debt into retirement; and estate planning. Sponsored by Society for Financial Awareness. Please register.
• Mad Hatter Tea Party—Tuesday, Feb. 17, at 3–4 pm. Grab your most fun hat(s) and gather your friends for a Mad Hatter Tea Party, featuring tea, finger sandwiches and lots of fun games. Please register.
• Stuffed Animal Vet Checkup—Thursday, Feb. 19, 3:30–5 pm. Your stuffed animal will get checked out by one of our certified stuffed animal vets, as well as pampered by our masseuse and groomed in our grooming station. No registration required.
• Coming Home to the Mother Book Discussion and Signing—Monday, Feb. 23, 6–8 pm. All are welcome to come and join Janine Lariviere, author of the memoir Coming Home to the Mother, as she takes you on a journey into the healing power of the Blessed Virgin Mary, with whose help Janine healed from ritualistic sexual abuse as a very young child. After her talk, Janine will be open to a question and answer period followed by a book signing. No registration required.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Programs3D Printer Training Workshops—learn about the operation of the 3D printer and Sense 3D scanner on Saturday, Feb. 21, 10:30 am–12pm, and Tuesday, Feb. 24, 6:30–8 pm; for high school age and above. Please register.
Full STEAM Ahead (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math)—Thursday, Feb. 26, 4:15 pm; for grades 3–6. Features a different STEAM project each month. Please register individually for each.
Schedule of ongoing events available at www.bellinghamlibrary.org.
- Library Trustees Meeting—Thurs., Feb.12, 7 pm.
- Friends of the Library Meeting—Mon., Feb. 2, at 7 pm.
- Book Discussion Group—Mon., Feb. 2, 3 pm and 6:30 pm. Attend whichever time works best for you. The Kommandant’s Girl by Pam Jenoff will be discussed. New members always welcomed.