Library News & Events Announced for September 2014
Featured Events• Fall Library Anniversary Wine & Cheese Fund-raiser will be held on Saturday, Sept. 27, 7–9 pm. Join the Friends of the Library, in conjunction with the Library Board of Trustees and library staff to celebrate 120 years of library service in Bellingham and 25 years of service at the library on Blackstone Street. Thanks to the following Bellingham businesses who have committed to supporting this event: Whole Foods Market, Douglas Wine & Spirits; Fields Wine Co. and Vet’s Package Store. Tickets are $15 each or 2 for $25 and are available for purchase at the library during regular business hours.
The event will include raffle baskets. If you or your business would like to donate an item or a raffle basket, please drop it/them off at the library at your convenience. If you’d like to help plan or volunteer for this event, please come to the Friends of the Library meeting on Monday, Sept. 8, at 7 pm, or contact Friends President Jane Vichi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Meet the Star Wars 501st Garrison on Sunday, Sept. 28. A couple of lucky families will be randomly selected to attend this event with this Star Wars Group that raises funds for charities. Register your family online by Friday, Sept. 19. The winning families will be able to meet the characters, and children under 12 in those families will be part of a short film they are shooting on that day.
• Summer Reading Adult Book Discussion—For the first time the library offered a Summer Reading Program for Adults, and it’s not too late to participate. Pick up one of the MA Book Awards “must read” books of 2014 from the adult fiction or non-fiction category; the list and books are on display at the library. A book discussion will be held on Monday, Sept. 22, at 6:30 pm. If you attend the book discussion, you will be entered into a raffle to win a $25 gift card from Barnes & Noble. Register to attend prior to Sept. 22.
• Morning Yoga for Adults will be held on nine consecutive Tuesdays, 8:30–10 am, Sept. 2—Oct. 28. Class instructor is Bellingham resident Patricia Spencer, who teaches at Time for You Yoga, in Cumberland, RI. Pat is a fully insured Certified Svaroopa® Yoga Basics Teacher with more than 400 hours of training, and is a RYT at the 200-hour level. She is also a Certified Embodyment® Yoga Therapist. Svaroopa® Yoga is a unique and transformational style of Hatha yoga that specializes in alleviating pain (especially back pain) and cultivating a quiet mind and peaceful spirit. Each 90-minute class begins and ends with deep relaxation and body awareness. Each pose is carefully aligned and supported with props—blankets, blocks, chairs—and can be modified to address each individual student’s needs. Class size is small (no more than eight) so each student receives individual attention and is monitored in every pose. By transforming your body, Svaroopa yoga changes the quality of your mind and emotions. You must be 18 or older and in generally good health to attend this beginning class. Please wear loose comfortably fitting clothing; you do not need to bring a yoga mat. Attendees will be required to sign a liability release form prior to the class. Please register the name of each person who will be attending. Pat has requested that attendees be encouraged to make a donation to the Friends of the Bellingham Library. There will be a donation jar in the back of the room at this class for those who wish to do so.
• Value of the Book, Book Appraisal Program— Monday, Sept. 15, 6–8 pm. This is an interactive discussion presented by Ray Rickman, a long-time rare-books dealer in Providence and the former host of “Bestsellers” on Rhode Island Public Television. Rickman will cover what makes a book valuable and what types of books have the highest retail value, and will offer complimentary estimates of your books’ market value for up to three books per person. Please register. This event is made possible by the Friends of the Bellingham Library.
• Women Approaching Retirement & Beyond—Thursday, Sept. 25, 6:30–7:30 pm. Topics will include understanding the value and timing of Social Security decisions both you and your spouse make; health insurance in retirement; income and expenses—getting them identified and worked on BEFORE you retire; ideas to generate cash flow improvements; divorce and widowhood—things to be alert to; extended/long-term care for your parents/yourself; carrying debt into retirement; estate planning; and seeing the difference in pre- vs post- retirement thinking, e.g., can you afford a bear market in the first 1/3 of your retirement? Sponsored by the MetroWest Chapter of the Society of Financial Awareness. Please register.
• Something for Adults starts in October, with the first monthly installment of our “for grownups” series, Artworks for Grownups, on Wednesday, Oct, 1, 6–8 pm. Kathy Wotton of Artworks Studio MA in Hopedale will lead us in a canvas paint session. Enjoy spending time with friends and follow step-by-step painting instructions to make your masterpiece. Check the library website for details of the subject of the painting.
This is the perfect class for someone who has never painted and maybe even be a bit fearful to paint. $10 per painter covers the cost for materials and a small donation to the Friends of the Library.
To register, stop by the library with payment (cash or check made payable to Friends of the Bellingham Library). This “for grownups” series has been coordinated by Personal Historian Marjorie Turner Hollman, Bellingham Senior Center Outreach Coordinator Sheila Ronkin, and Library Director Bernadette Rivard.
STEM Programs3D Printer Training Workshops— learn about the operation of the 3D Printer and new Sense 3D Scanner on Saturday, Sept. 20, 10:30 am–12 pm, and Monday, Sept. 22, 6:30–8 pm, for high school-age and above. Please register.
Schedule of Ongoing Events• Ring-A-Ding—Tuesdays and Fridays, 10:15 am; Saturday, Sept. 13, at 10:15 am. For ages 0–5.
• Lego Build—Wed., 4 pm (preschool & elementary-school age). Drop in.
• Book Babies—Tuesdays, 11:30 am, and Wednesdays, 9:30 am, starting Sept. 9 (ages 0-23 months).
• Picnic Stories—Wednesdays, starting Sept. 10, at 12:15 pm, at the Bellingham town common (all ages). Weather permitting, bring a blanket and lunch and meet us behind the gazebo for Picnic Stories. Please register. You need to register only once to attend all Picnic Stories.
• Reading with Indy—Mondays at 6:30 pm (all ages). Kids are invited to read with Indy, a certified reading dog. Four 15-minute slots each Mon. evening; please register.
• Alphabits—Wednesdays & Thursdays, 10:15 am, starting Sept. 10. For ages 2–5. Each week, explore a different letter (in order, A—Z) through stories, crafts and activities. Please register for either Wed. or Thurs.; the programs are identical. You need to register only once in order to attend all Alphabits.
• GOT Mail Story Time—Mondays at 1:15 pm, beginning on Sept. 15 (ages 3–5). Each week a letter from a different person will announce the theme of the day; includes stories, games, activities and (usually) a craft. Please register. You need to register only once in order to attend all GOT Mail Story Times.
• Storytime 2.0—Tuesday, Sept. 23, 4:15 pm (ages 3-6). We will be using the iPad® for a monthly tech-filled story time. Please register for each Storytime 2.0 program individually.
• Magic School Bus—Monday, Sept. 29, 4:15 pm (ages 4-7). Watch a Magic School Bus video and do a related activity afterwards. Please register.
• Laugheteria—Tuesday, Sept. 16, 4:15 pm (grades 1-4). If you like to laugh, then this program is for you. Bring in some jokes, funny stories or funny books and get ready to tickle your funny bone. Please register.
• Artrageous—Thursday, Sept. 25, 4 pm (grades K–6). Stop by to make a craft project. Please register.
• Mother Daughter Book Club—date and title to be announced; check the library website.
For Middle & High SchoolersAfter School Café—Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 2:30-3:30. Join us in the community room for after-school games, crafts and fun.
For AdultsLibrary Trustees Meeting—Thursday, Sept. 11, 7 pm.
Friends of the Library Meeting—Monday, Sept. 8, 7 pm.
Book Discussion Group—Monday, Sept. 8, 6:30 pm. Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt will be discussed. New members always welcomed.
Bellingham Skein Artists—Our adult knitting group meets on Thursdays at 6:30 pm; new members welcomed.