Bellingham COA Announces June Activities & Events
The Bellingham Senior Center is centrally located, at 40 Blackstone Street. Tel: 508-966-0398.
The Elder Service Group’s Annual Ice Cream Social will be held on Tuesday, June 3; cost is $1 for members and $3 for all others. Reminder: Save the date for the next BESG party, to be held on July 1 at 1 PM--a great cook out/eat in; $5 for members and $8 for all others. Prizes will be awarded.
Come to the Bellingham Elder Service Group’s 25th Anniversary Party celebration on Thursday, June 19, at 5:30 pm, at the Senior Center. There will be food, a gift for everyone, and live entertainment featuring Southern Rail, whose performances are high-energy, exuberant fun! Cost is $2/pp for members, $10/pp for non-members Pre-registration is required. The deadline to sign up is June 16. Call 508-966-0398 by Tuesday, June 17, if you would like a ride (Bellingham seniors)
Computer Tutor—Want to learn something new at your own pace? Call at 508-966-0398; instructor Patricia Llewellyn will contact you to arrange your schedule and answer your questions. Five classes cost only $15.
Heat Stroke & Dehydration with Nurse Sarah—Thursday, June 12, at 10:30 AM. Learn about heat stroke, how to recognize the danger signs (what HEAT means), and the differences between various heat-related illnesses. (Free.)
Blood Pressure Clinic—Monday, June 2, 8–11 AM, at senior center, with Nurse Sarah (free).
Father’s Day Dinner Dance— June 16, 11:30 AM, Medway VFW, 123 Holliston St. Sit-down roast turkey dinner at noon; $17pp. Sign up at the senior center or call 508-966-0398.
Senior Safety Programs—Sign up for one or both of the following safety classes offered by the Dept. of Fire Services, the Bellingham Fire Department and presenter Pvt. Brad Kwatcher, and you’ll be entered to win a $25 gift certificate from Wal-Mart, which will be drawn and awarded on June 24. You don’t have to be there to win, but you must attend one of the following:
- June 18, 9–10am: Explore the “hazard house,” which looks a lot like a doll house that has hazards in it. Identify the hazards in the home and come up with ways to eliminate danger so our homes are safe and sound.
- June 24, 1PM: Cooking safety. Learn and share a variety of cooking safety tips, and get a great refresher with the use of a cooking prop.
Strawberry Festival—Tuesday, June 17, 12:30PM. Attendees are asked to sign up and pay in advance at the center. At 1 pm, singer Judy Capone will provide musical entertainment. Event sponsored by the COA; cost is $4/pp. Bring the grandkids!
Our Town, from the Start—Monday, June 23,11AM. Marcia Crooks of the Bellingham Historical Commission will begin her multi-session program “A History of Bellingham.” There is so much to learn about where you live when you live in New England. If you are a history buff or just curious, sign up at the center’s front desk or call 508-966-0398 to register.
Night Owl Programs
- Southeastern MA Community Concert Band— Monday, June 9, 7–8PM, at the senior center. This 30-piece concert band based in Medway comprises musicians from all over the local area. Most of their music is familiar to the audience and includes pop melodies, show tunes, patriotic music including marches, and big band music. The concert is funded through a Bellingham Cultural Council grant; it is free and open to the public. Rides are available if you contact senior center by Friday, June 6, at 508-966-0398. Doors open at 6 PM.
- Tuesday, June 10: Cooking for One, 5:00–6:30PM.
- Tuesday, June 10 & 24, 6PM: Dawn Marie Giardino of Rockland Trust will meet with seniors who are having difficulty with either balancing checkbooks or budgeting money.
- Tuesday, June 10 & 24, and Thursday, June 26: Genealogy Workshops with Toni Picariello, 6:30 to 8 PM.
- Thursday, June 12 & 19, 6–8PM: Nancy Bland of Walgreen’s photo department will again offer her class, Learning to Use Your Digital Camera Most Effectively. (Free.)
- Tuesdays, in June, 5:30–7PM: Yoga with Susan Winters. Perfect for those who can’t get here during the day; stop by on the way home from work. Mats available. $5/class. (Susan also teaches chair yoga and basic mat yoga on Tuesday mornings; $3 per one-hour class.)
- Tuesdays, in June, 7:15–8:15PM: Tai Chi with Jean Donnelly. Classes always have a warm-up and introduction to what Tai Chi is all about. Form is adaptable to people who are chair bound. Jean also teaches a Friday class, 1 pm; $5 per class for seniors, $10 for younger members.